There are two types of deposits in property lending: deposit as a contribution towards a loan and a deposit for when purchasing a home. Both are very different.
A loan deposit is the difference between the purchase price and the loan amount; specifically the borrowers contribution to qualify for a loan. All lenders are slightly different, however most have loan products to borrow up to 90% or 95% of the property value; this is often referred to as the loan to value ratio (LVR). A 90%LVR would mean that the borrower is contributing the other 10%.
For loans above an 80% LVR, the bank is required to have Lenders’ Mortgage Insurance (LMI) on the loan. Mortgage Insurers are separate entities to the lender and provide protection to the lender for lending a high proportion of the value of the property. LMI attracts a premium that the borrower generally pays however this fee is often able to be added to the loan so it does not require the borrower to contribute further funds upfront.
There is also a requirement with most lenders for evidence of genuine savings. This is in the form of bank statements or similar, showing that a minimum proportion of the contribution (usually 5%) has been saved up over a three or six month period.
One of the greatest benefits to using Mortgage Express is that we are able to take advantage of lenders who may provide cheaper LMI premiums, or will allow higher loan to value ratios meaning you are able to purchase your property sooner.
A home deposit refers to the amount of deposit required as part of the purchase contract and this is often either negotiated as a dollar amount (ie $25,000) or a percentage of the property value (ie 10%). This type of deposit can be discussed with the real estate agent when negotiating on price.